Friday, December 21, 2007

Education and Media Week

Better late info then no info. But hey! It's the Christmas season AND we do have those six Autistic children and their needs. Anyway...

Sunday, December 9th was the start of the Education part of the week. A neighbor of ours, Melisa, does educational seminars for teachers and parents of Autistic children. She is a 'Behavior Analyst', as I understand it, that teaches these groups how to communicate with their Autistic children. She does seminars all over the country and concentrates on Aspergers children. She and a fellow Behavior Analyst, Aaron, from California; watched our children, came up with a plan and personally bought materials for us to use. Aaron specializes in working with more severe Autism. Thanks guys!

On the afternoon of the 11th our documentary producer and camera man came over to see what was needed to get the house ready for filming. They were here that day and Wednesday and left late Thursday. Got a lot of family life and daily living plus on Thursday I took 3 of the children to University of Utah's Autism research center we've been involved in for the past year. They filmed one the Dr's doing evaluations on each of them.












Here's our crew, Monica, Scott, Keith and Richard:

Then on Friday, December 14th, our magazine photographer, Ken, arrived. He followed us around for the next 3 days. He said he would take over 1000 shots and they'd end up using 6-8. I thought that was huge, but he said that it is very typical.

Our reporter says that now that we have pictures our story should be out fairly soon. We are hoping that it is THIS month.

Our goals are better and more awareness and getting support and financial aid to families through our AutsimBites Foundation.

“Funding for Autism research is good, funding to help with day to day living, is better.” - Dad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleease don't be discouraged by the non commenting. Often people just don't know what to say, your story is so overwhelming.
I too am a parent (sole for the last 10 yrs) to six but they are all high functioning 'normals' with their individual challenges that any child brings.
I work with children with Autism and Aspergers so have a tiny insight into the challenges you face. My prayers and thoughts are with you and I'm sure I will return to this blog to keep in touch with your story.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family, and my heart goes out to you. I am a single mother of 5, and they are tough. I can not imagine 6 with autism. Its amazing to see you two working so well together, and not allowing this to take you down. When people tell me how hard it must be to raise 5 alone, I tell the there is nothing hard about it, it is something I have to do. The financial need is the only hurdle I have. Of course its stressful, but they are mine, and I will never stop loving them any differently. I praise your courage, and your wonderful work!! God bless all of you.

Unknown said...




Wow, thats amazing.I love the way you write. Do you provide an RSS feed?
Best advertising Agency in the world | advertising agencies in Lahore | advertising agencies in Karachi

Dose Pharmacy said...

Thank you for providing such valuable information and thanks for sharing this Business Promotion technique.